International moving is just like any other move, right? Well – wrong. You need much more time, more papers, and to just simply duplicate everything. Thinking that international moving requires the same process as local moving is one of your first DIY international moving mistakes. Let us review other common ones people make.
DIY international moving mistakes people make
We are not insinuating that you are not capable of moving by yourself. The problem is that things that seem logical in theory can backfire and be different when put to the test. Besides this, there are certain jobs you simply are not able to do. For example, unless you are a custom clearing agent, you cannot do that part. Instead, you must hire customs clearing agents in Bahrain. So, let us see, together, what are those common mistakes and prevent them on time so you do not have any consequences.
Are you competent for certain jobs?
We have already mentioned one situation but we must further analyze. There are entire companies that make money on providing these special services a person like you and me cannot do. Take import export companies in Saudi Arabia as an example. Do you really think that international import and export are just transferring some stuff and that is it? So many laws have to be respected and too many papers are included. Luckily for us, these companies exist and can take care of some things for us.
DIY international moving is cheaper?
Certainly not. You are very mistaken. Tolls, taxes, fuel, organization of other people and their time which they very probably will not give you. The way we see it, you can either spend a lot of money but in portions, which makes it seem cheaper or… You can call and hire professional movers who, in the end, will be the cheaper option. If you think we are mistaken, please take a piece of paper, a pen, and start writing everything down along with the realistic prices. You will see professionals are a much better solution. And if nothing else can persuade you to hire pro movers, do not forget how easily you can injure yourself or damage something because you wanted everything to be a DIY process.
Overestimating your abilities is a big DIY international moving mistake
Just like you cannot do certain jobs other people are qualified and paid to do, you can simply overestimate your capacity for many other things. Again, this is not because you are incapable or stupid, it is because you are not qualified, period. One of the abilities you can overestimate is how fast you can be. If moving was always a smooth transition, by all means, do everything by yourself and be fast. Since it is not and you do not have the experience to know all possible problems that can happen, be realistic. Know that you cannot be fast and efficient and make sure everything goes smoothly. In order for the move to be like that, you must, we repeat, hire professionals who know what they are supposed to do.
Packing is not as simple as it sounds
Packing for a local move can be easy, sure, but for an international move is not easy and cannot be done ”just like that”. First of all, there are many things you cannot move by plane, by car and we do not need to keep enumerating. When packing belongings, furniture, and many other things, you have to keep in mind that all of those will be traveling for some time and that nobody can guarantee that the road will be smooth a 100%. There is a way to protect the wood, glass, other materials. It is not just putting stuff in a box and duct-taping what you can. Because of this, there are packing services you should consider.
A few tips and a summarising
These were common mistakes people make. Besides emphasizing those so you can avoid them, we are going to give a few tips and summarise everything, so to speak.
- Do not underestimate people who are in the moving industry. They do their jobs for a reason, hire them.
- Also do not overestimate yourself, you may not have the experience and time you think you do.
- If you are renting a moving container, watch out for the size and purpose. Consult your moving company about that decision.
- Safety is not overrated. This is a big DIY international moving mistake. Accidents happen, you cannot control them. That is why they are called accidents.
- When moving internationally, there is no such thing as too much information.
- The papers required for the international move should be the first and last thing on your mind. Some papers are harder to get than others. Some are your responsibility and others of people you hire for the move. Start thinking on time.
- Do not expect any additional help from your friends and family. You can ask them but remember that they have lives and are not obligated to help you.
- If you have any special items that are being moved, like a piano and similar, ask around. Inform yourself, moving a piano and a sofa are not the same thing.
- Always calculate how much money you will need in advance, and then have more just in case.
Do not make these DIY international moving mistakes
Now that you know what are common DIY international moving mistakes, we expect you will not be making them. Otherwise, our hard work was all for nothing. Understand that it is better and more responsible to pay people to do things for you than to do them yourself and very probably make a huge mess you will pay even more to fix than in scenario one. Again, international moving is not the same as local moving. We really hope this was helpful and that you will follow our tips. Just start organizing on time and remember to call someone to do the job perfectly. As Bob Marley would say ”Don’t you worry about a thing, because every little thing is gonna be alright”, that is, if you hire the right people. We wish you good luck!