If you are looking forward to living in Saudi Arabia, Jeddah could be a perfect location for your new home. This city has a lot to offer, especially if you are an open-minded person. A cultural shock is implied, but living in this city could be one of the best decisions you made. In case you already live in Saudi Arabia, make sure to look for local movers in Jeddah and start planning the move. However, if you are not familiar with this city, take a look at our expat guide to living in Jeddah.
Get ready for Jeddah relocation
Relocating overseas is always a big change, especially when moving from western culture to the Middle East. Before moving to Jeddah, you should do your research and prepare for the upcoming change. Here are some things you should consider before the move:
- Prepare necessary documentation. If you are moving overseas to Jeddah, make sure to prepare all necessary paperwork.
- Find a new job. If you are relocating for work, talk to your new employer about the details of your relocation.
- Explore different neighborhoods. Not all parts of Jeddah are equally affordable. In order to find new housing, you might need to consult a professional realtor.
- Learn about the cultural differences. There will be many changes in the lifestyle in Jeddah, especially if you are moving from Europe or the United States, so be ready for a culture shock.
Expat guide to living in Jeddah
As an important part of our expat guide to Living in Jeddah, here are some of the facts you should know about this city. If you’ve never been to this city, you will have plenty of new things to learn about it.
Jeddah is a port city located in Saudi Arabia. The two things it’s most famous for are holy places like Mecca and Medina. Living in Jeddah is not for everyone, but if you are open to Muslim culture and want to make a career in this city, moving here could be a great idea. However, the culture and tradition in this city might come as a shock for some expats. Gender segregation is custom here, and locals expect everyone to respect that.
Besides the cultural shock for wester newcomers, this city is also known for very high temperatures. During summer, the outside temperature can go higher than 45 degrees Celsius, but during winter, temperatures are relatively mild (around 15 degrees Celsius at the lowest).
If you are planning a Jeddah relocation, consider seeking professional moving assistance. There are plenty of reliable movers in Jeddah who could help you organize the move. No matter how big your inventory is, professional movers can help you pack, secure, and transport your belongings safely to a new home in Jeddah.
Cost of living in Jeddah
Jeddah is a multi-national city which implies a variety of different cultures. With this in mind, the cost of your accommodation will depend on many factors, but mostly on the location. Rent is usually required for an entire year upfront, and it could go from 10.000 to 25.000 riyals per year.
When it comes to food, the overall prices depend on your needs. If you are ready to try out local food, you will find pretty affordable places to have a meal. On the other hand, international restaurants might cost extra, compared to the European and US prices.
If you are moving internationally on a budget, make sure to research the average living costs in this city. Considering the big change of the environment and lifestyle, you should prepare for a different price range. Also, make sure to set some money aside for the first year of your life in Jeddah.
Benefits of living in Jeddah
In case you are looking forward to living in Saudi Arabia, Jeddah could be a good choice for your new home. This city is welcoming more and more expats every year. If new culture and a different lifestyle are things you are looking for, our expat guide to living in Jeddah might help you make a decision. Take a look at some of the biggest pros of living in Jeddah.
- Lack of cold winters and harsh weather. If you don’t have a problem with high temperatures during summers, you’ll enjoy living here.
- Cheap utilities. Paying for electricity and air conditioning is pretty affordable.
- Living by the Red Sea. If you have a car, you will enjoy exploring the surroundings.
- The city has plenty of beaches you can enjoy. They are not urbanized, but plenty of people enjoy can enjoy a picnic with their families.
- Great shopping experience. If you like shopping, you will enjoy living in Jeddah!
How to organize an overseas move?
If you are planning a family move to this city, this organization will take some time. It could be difficult to relocate last minute to Jeddah, especially if you are moving overseas with small children. The best thing you can do is to start planning your move a few months before. Booking a professional moving company will help you handle all the packing and planning of your moving day.
Hopefully, our expat guide to living in Jeddah helped you understand more about this city. It is becoming one of the most popular cities in Saudi Arabia for expats. Whether you are moving for a new job or just looking for an adventure and a different lifestyle, you will enjoy exploring Jeddah. Plenty of job opportunities, affordable living, and nice homes in Jeddah are waiting for you.