Most people agree that the best way to spend your hard-earned money is on travel. The old-fashioned lifestyle implies that you have to work from 9 to 5 and that you will have about two weeks of vacation. Well, guess what, fast internet connections and cheap airline tickets have rendered this way of thinking obsolete. More and more people are becoming dissatisfied with the tedious, bland, and unfulfilling life of an office rat and are opting for an online job. Nowadays, many professions offer the possibility of remote work.
Professions like programming, online teaching, web design, content writing, and translating lead the way in this field. You can even run an export/import company online. Sea cargo Jeddah offers a multitude of transport services that will change your business model for the better. Anyway, all those who are location-independent and who use Internet technology to perform their work are called digital nomads. But if you wish to tour the globe while working, you must first decide where to go. So, what are the best cities for digital nomads to move to this year? Stay with us to find out.
What factors to take into consideration when choosing a city?
There is no simple answer to this question as there are many different types of online jobs, and each of them favors a certain environment. For example, fashion bloggers and language teachers will find a city setting more favorable, while someone who runs a traveling vlog will profit from living on a remote tropical island. With that being said, here are some other important facts that every digital nomad should take into consideration when choosing a new neighborhood, city, or country:
- Quality of Internet connection. This is your bread and butter, right? You can’t do anything without a stable Internet connection. Remote locations certainly have a certain appeal, but what about the Internet connection?
- Costs of living. Working online as a freelancer has many benefits, but one major drawback is that it can be very unpredictable. So, the first thing that you should do is to make a good financial plan and see if you are in a position to pay the bills.
- Crime rates and overall safety ratings.
- Presence of other digital nomads. The absence of a nomad community coupled with foreign county and language could lead to you feeling quite isolated.
- Are people there friendly? If you are in a city full of friendly and open-minded people it will be easy for you to learn the language and make some new and amazing friendships.
Asia has the best cities for digital nomads to move to this year
Asian countries are at the epicenter of the latest technological breakthroughs, with South Korea and China being the champions of the tech-driven digital age. South Korea has the fastest average internet speed in the world, and over 95% of its population uses the Internet regularly. So, besides South Korea what are some of the best cities for remote working in Asia?
- Canggu, Bali. Long considered a vacation paradise, Bali is now attracting more and more business-minded travelers. Mesmerizing nature, decent Internet speeds, and great workplaces are more than enough for every digital nomad.
- Chiang Mai, Thailand. Oriental spices, ancient temples, year-round warm weather, and unbelievably cheap food and accommodation.
- Bangkok, Thailand. Are you looking for lavish parties and vibrant nightlife? Colorful markets, packed streets, fancy restaurants, cheap fast food, Bangkok has been the main destination for ex-pats for several decades, and it’s still gaining popularity, especially for the digital nomad community.
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Adventure and excitement await you in the capital of Vietnam, a true urban metropolis. Warm weather, safety, and quite low costs of living are the main selling points of this city.
- Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Located at the very heart of Saudi Arabia, this city is interesting for those who are in the export/import business. Saudi Arabia is an economic powerhouse and a market with a wide array of business opportunities. Before you embark on an Arabian adventure, learn more about Saudi customs clearance and companies which offer these services.
Best cities for digital nomads to move to this year in Europe are in Portugal
Located on the Iberian Peninsula in southwest Europe, Portugal is a country rich with culture, history, and tradition. Furthermore, sandy beaches, warm weather, and friendly locals present a dream come true for every digital nomad. So, what are the best cities to explore in Portugal?
- Lisbon. The capital and the largest city in Portugal has a population of over 3 million. Sandy beaches, cocktail bars, and delicious seafood are not everything this city has to offer, as Lisbon has a fascinating history. The city was founded in 1,200 BC, and since that period many great rulers and armies left their mark here. Lisbon is today recognized as one of the leading cities in Europe in terms of finance, international trade, arts, culture, and sports.
- Proto. Located at the Duoro River estuary, Porto is the second-largest city in Portugal, and home to many great museums, art galleries, and theaters. Boasting great working spaces for digital nomads, Porto is also very close to some of the best surfing destinations in Europe.
With the right internet connection and a remote workplace, the world is your oyster. Here are some other amazing cities that are known for attracting digital nomads:
- Berlin, Germany
- Belgrade, Serbia
- Barcelona, Spain
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Valencia, Spain
- Tallinn, Estonia
- Krakow, Poland
These were some of the best cities for digital nomads to move to this year, which one you will choose will ultimately come down to your personal preferences and budget. We wish you good luck and happy traveling.