Thanks to transportation trends in 2020, we now face a brighter future with technology innovations and eco-friendly transportation. First of all, transformation in the logistics transportation industry is taking place as we speak. Consequently, thanks to smart solutions and sustainable alternatives, our future looks brighter than ever. Nowadays companies have to stay more competitive than ever, for example, because the market forces them to add new advanced technology. Moreover, they are improving their distribution centers, warehouses, shipping, and transport management. In the same vein, the transportation sector consists of several industries from air freight, road, sea cargo Jeddah, airlines, and the transportation infrastructure, where logistics make a huge part of the industry. To sum it up, we can take a look at how the industry is finally changing thanks to the latest transportation trends and improvements.
Five technologies making an impact on transportation trends in 2020
This emerging technology was designed specifically to transform business operations. It records transactions, tracks assets and creates a transparent and efficient system. Without a doubt, this system makes it easier to manage all documents involved in the logistics process. For example, cryptography helps to monitor the performance history of carriers and other suppliers. Namely, smart contracts in the transportation trends in 2020 are enormous time and money savers. Professionals in the business believe Blockchain helps bring enhanced security in the supply chain, starting with the Saudi customs clearance terms and regulations. Besides, the trend includes the reduction of fraudulent actions and errors, thus increasing its efficiency.
2. Internet of Things/loT Devices
Seems like, over the past 10 years, the logistics transportation sector has had some struggles in the following sectors:
- Operational efficiency
- Forecasting business demand correctly
- Manpower management
- Reverse logistics, inventory control, and visibility
- Fuel costs, environmental issues
- Meeting promised delivery schedules
- Extreme unexpected weather conditions
- Receiving the right data as cargo is in route
- Warehouse management
- Order fulfillment returned goods management
- Transportation management, distribution
Fortunately, transportation trends in 2020 charging in with the Internet of things (IoT) are changing the game. This system of interrelated computing devices, mechanical and digital machines now has the ability to transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction. Which overrides the previous issues the industry had. The possibilities and implementation of the Internet of things have evolved due to the convergence of multiple technologies, real-time analytics, machine learning, commodity sensors, and embedded systems.
How IoT has helped the transportation trends in 2020:
In our industry, we use the Internet of Things to collect data in real-time with innovative smart sensors, cars, and trucks. Which all serves to alert vehicles of potential dangers ahead.
- Firstly, IoT technologies enable trucks with real-time driving, mapping, and video data. Smart vehicles will be able to ‘see’ blind turns and corners at a distance, identify pedestrians, cyclists, and any other road hazards.
- Secondly, It will revolutionize transportation and significantly reduce crashes by 80%. How? By bringing visibility across global manufacturing networks. Which also makes moving locally in Jeddah smooth and effective.
- For instance, Drivers utilizing loT can monitor fuel performance, brakes, speed and will display safety to drivers. Geo-fencing and logistics transport managers can see if packages or shipments are late.
- Last but not least, investments from major players such as AT&T, Alcatel-Lucent, IBM, Verizon, Cisco Systems, and General Electric. In short, these are the major contributors to advancing this technology into transport.
This evolving ecosystem helps to bring intelligence to companies remotely – in real-time! Transportation trends in 2020 are optimizing asset utilization. How? Through backhaul transportation and centralized tracking.
Experts expect The Internet of Things to transform the transport industry. It’s collecting data and transforming it into critical key information. In addition, IoT helps businesses with their technology evolution in data analytics and mobility automation. Therefore the trend has improved communication significantly. Finally, it has given us a better understanding of data distribution with trains, trucks, ships, and planes.
3. Transportation trends in 2020: Artificial Intelligence
AI increases passenger safety, helps reduce traffic congestion and accidents, lessen carbon emissions, and also minimizes the overall financial expenses. Furthermore, some of the methods AI uses to perform such complex tasks are:
- traffic management
- determining hazardous travel locations
- designing or assessing the structural integrity
- planning construction activities
- scheduling maintenance
4. Machine Learning/Big Data
Big data and predictive analysis help to avoid disruptions in the transportation system. And maintenance of equipment.
Indeed, big data logistics help to optimize routing, streamlining factory functions. Hence providing transparency to the entire supply chain. Finally, both logistics and shipping companies benefit from one of the top 5 transportation trends in 2020.
Logistics management and transportation companies have higher levels of reliability with big data. In fact, it improved its operations and routing with Sensor Driven Data.
5. Transportation trends in 2020: Autonomous Transportation Technologies
Drones and self-driving delivery trucks are some of the most exciting transportation trends in 2020. They are just starting to be commonplace, but yet remain to leave a tremendous impact on improved traffic safety. Firstly, we hope they will keep roads safer and improve our on-time delivery rates. Most people believe they will reduce the number of car accidents which is their key benefit.
According to the US Department of Transportation, 94% of traffic accidents happen because the driver has made an error. With autonomous transportation trends from 2020 on, we want to turn to fewer human errors input. Secondly, we want to significantly reduce the cost of asset optimization with driverless delivery.
Autonomous forklifts and robot arms are already in some of the most up-to-date warehouses
They can load, unload and transport goods within the warehouse and have flexible conveyor belts. Furthermore, sensors, vision and geo guidance technology are currently helping modern factories in their logistics work process. Forklifts unloading cargo and placing packages on shelves using the Internet of Things is not a futuristic dream anymore. Above all, this network of devices that transports items autonomously already exists.
Everything relating to logistics and data management has now become simpler, with fewer steps to complete. One of the most important transportation trends in 2020 here at Four Winds Saudi Arabia includes solving logistics problems with the appropriate technology. It deploys fast and easy logistics solutions in an integrated environment with big data applications.