Relocation is not over when the moving truck leaves you and your belongings in front of your new apartment or house. Unfortunately, a lot of work still awaits you. First of all, you have to unpack your belongings and make your new place suitable for living. This means to assemble and arrange your belongings and to put them in the right place. Secondly, you have to adapt to new surroundings, and this is far from easy, especially if you moved long-distance. You have to get used to the new city, a new workplace, and to meet new friends. You even have to learn where the best shops, boutiques, and restaurants are. This is a process that could last for several months. Therefore, it is important to stay positive and open-minded. But let’s get back to unpacking. One solution is to call one of the reliable moving companies in Bahrain and to get a full-service relocation deal that includes unpacking. The other way to do it is on your own. So stay with us, and we will show you how to unpack into a small space.
Make a good packing strategy before the move
The best way to making the unpacking process a lot easier is to pack everything correctly. In other words, you must make a packing inventory and follow it closely. By doing this you will eliminate the chances of forgetting something, and also keep your belongings organized. Here are a few things that you should do before calling movers and packers Dammam.
- Declutter your home. You must have items that you are not using anymore. Now is the perfect time to sell, donate or throw away everything that you don’t need.
- Label the boxes. Use a labeling system that will help you to keep count of what you have already packed and what is yet to be prepared for moving. You can use numbers or letters, or even color stickers.
- Pack your belongings systematically. You should use priority ratings when packing. For example, you will probably pack your skiing equipment first as you won’t need it for some time. Also, that will be the last thing to unpack when you arrive at your new home.
- Prepare an essentials box. This is a box that contains all the important items that you will need for normal functioning in the next couple of days.
Things to do before unpacking
There are a few important things that you should take care of before you continue with the unpacking process:
- Clean your apartment. This is something that you should do immediately, regardless of how tired you are. Why? Well, it is much easier to clean an empty apartment than a fully equipped one.
- Envisage the layout of each room. Decide the position of each piece of furniture so you don’t have to move it again because it is blocking the way.
- Check if all the boxes are safely delivered to your new apartment. Call the moving agency immediately if this is not the case.
Unpack into a small space by following some order
The most important thing is to resist your urge to procrastinate. Don’t allow your laziness to prevail and proceed to unpacking process immediately. The sooner you unpack the boxes, the sooner you will be able to enjoy your apartment. The most efficient way to do it is by following some sort of plan:
- Unpack the essentials box first. The unpacking process could last for several days, and you must continue with your normal life in the meantime. This box should include clean clothes for a few days, basic hygiene products, medications and all the important paperwork that you might need.
- Unpack room by room. This systematical approach will save you much energy and time. Just repeat the packing process in reverse order. So, if you began with your bedroom, don’t stop until it’s ready. Moving experts agree that this should be an ideal unpacking order: Kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, and finally living rooms.
Consider renting a storage unit before you unpack into a small space
Small apartments are friendly for your budget but you will have to make a few compromises because of their tiny size. One of the potential problems is the lack of space for the unpacking process. So, instead of cramming all boxes and furniture at once, you can do it slowly, for a few days. You just have to find a place to store your belongings in the meantime. One way to do this is to ask your friends who live nearby for help. But probably the best solution is to rent a storage unit. Before you do that, there are some facts that you should be aware of:
- A Storage unit must tick all the safety boxes before you rent it. This means it should have a nightguard as well as surveillance systems. The quality of locks is also essential.
- The Units must be climate controlled and moist free. You don’t want your belongings to rot or to soak up that basement smell.
- A Storage facility must be easily accessible. You will visit this place many times during the unpacking process. It should be close to your apartment.
These were basic tips that you should follow when you are about to unpack into a small space. You should definitely unpack room by room, but you can choose any order that suits you the best. Anyway, try to embrace this change and enjoy the whole process. After all, this is your home, and making it suitable for living should fill you with positive energy. Try to think of it as the beginning of a new chapter in your life rather than the ending of an era. We wish you the best of luck.